PowerSchool makes power move with acquisition of Schoology

Alex Ruivivar ’20

Dean of Academics Michael O’Brien logs on to PowerSchool.

Alex Ruivivar ’20, Features Editor

On Oct. 24, PowerSchool, a leading provider of K-12 education technology solutions, announced that it acquired Schoology, a leading K-12 learning management system.

PowerSchool currently supports 45 million students with its technology solutions, including student information systems, assessment and analytics, special education, nance, HR, and talent management tools.

Schoology supports more than 20 million users through its learning management system, including integrations with Google and Microsoft. Combined, this will allow all users to access a classroom that will merge with any student information system they currently use.

Dean of Academics Michael O’Brien said, “Schoology is the most used LMS learning management system in the US, and PowerSchool is the most used information platform in the US. It made logical sense for PowerSchool to acquire Schoology.”

Schoology users and partners will benefit from additional investments, including the continued incorporation of Google and Microsoft. Current PowerSchool users will benefit from Schoology’s learning management system, providing a unified experience with its SIS, assessment, special education, and professional development.

PowerSchool’s acquisition is a protraction of its commitment to provide educators, students, and parents with software solutions that save time, create ef ciencies,and eliminate silos across allaspects of K-12 education.

“As the months go on, it will get easier and easier. Eventually, it will be seamless and very easy. Right now, they are transitioning. While they are transitioning, we have to expect that things are going to happen at an evolutionary pace,” O’Brien said.

There could be challenges. O’Brien said, “The challenge for PowerSchool is that they are going to be all in one interface. Right now, they have another product called PowerSchool Unified Classroom. That’s a different product in terms of grade book. So, it will be a challenge taking those two things and moving them into Unified Classroom.”