Legendary alumnus McGraw celebrated with historic scholarship

Tyrone+McGraw+was+a+legendary+Riordan+alumnus%2C+who+now+has+a+scholarship+named+in+his+honor.+

Stanford Photo

Tyrone McGraw was a legendary Riordan alumnus, who now has a scholarship named in his honor.

Christian Ramirez Cortes '22, Staff Reporter

Tyrone Leon McGraw, an athlete and scholar, was born in San Francisco’s Hunters Point neighborhood. He attended Archbishop Riordan High School where he excelled, and graduated in 2006. McGraw went on to attend Stanford University on the Bill and Melinda Gates Scholarship, which awards a full ride to any college.

McGraw not only accomplished many feats, but did so through adverse circumstances that he faced his whole life. He was born with crack cocaine in his system and his father was incarcerated at the time of his birth. He lived with his mom, whom he lost to cancer, and had to live with his godfather who suffered from a stroke and also died.

The Tyrone McGraw Scholarship will end up being the largest and most important scholarship in the history of the school.

— John Ring

At the end of his young life, McGraw had to face one of the hardest challenges ever: cancer. He was diagnosed in 2014 and lost a three-year-long battle on June 18, 2017, at the age of 29.

At his 2016 commencement speech, McGraw said, “Getting up, believing in yourself, and finding a way is a simple lesson to carry forward. Never give up.”

As a way to honor Tyrone McGraw’s legacy, Archbishop Riordan High School created a video to be shown at the Purple and Gold Gala on Feb. 29 at Bimbo’s in order to advance the scholarship for future students.

The Tyrone McGraw Scholarship awards financial assistance each year to deserving students. It was created in memory of McGraw and his amazing accomplishments, as this scholarship gives young men like Tyrone the opportunity to follow in his footsteps.

This scholarship is awarded to a senior who exemplifies the characteristics of McGraw and has also fought through adverse circumstances. The recipient is preferred to be an African American or Latino student from Hunters Point and/or someone who has faced and overcome adversity in their young lives just like McGraw did.

Valerie O’Riordan, one of Tyrone’s former teachers and current visual and performing arts instructor at Riordan, stated, “If I were a Riordan student and received a Tyrone McGraw Scholarship, I believe it would be one of the most cherished credits on my resume. Tyrone was a humble student-leader in the classroom, on the field, on the track, and everywhere he went. All of that, despite his given circumstances from birth.”

Tyrone McGraw was an inspirational student at Riordan and his incredible story continues to impact many people. The Tyrone McGraw Scholarship will also continue to grow and will continue his legacy of serving the underserved.

John Ring, Director of Development at Riordan, said, “The Tyrone McGraw Scholarship will end up being the largest and most important scholarship in the history of the school.”

The Tyrone McGraw Scholarship continues to expand as it is now past $140,000 raised by contributions from many generous people. Information about the Tyrone L. McGraw Scholarship can be found on the Riordan website where anyone can make a donation towards the growth of the scholarship. Humility, adverse circumstances, and high-achieving despite the given circumstances are characteristics of McGraw himself, but also of a deserving recipient of the Tyrone McGraw Scholarship.

Ring exclaimed, “Tyrone was an incredible role model and inspiration and this scholarship will ensure that his story will be told forever.”