Purple and Gold Gala raises $270k for scholarships, tuition assistance

Nano Visser

Dominic Borrego ’20 and Tomizo Callejas ’20 were members of the band who performed during the annual Purple and Gold Gala.

Aysaiah Radoc Manrique '21, Staff Reporter

Archbishop Riordan High School’s biggest fundraiser, the annual “Purple and Gold Gala” was held on Saturday, Feb. 29.

The event was hosted at Bimbo’s 365 Club, with cocktails and a silent auction beginning at 6:00 p.m. Beginning at 7:30 p.m., the event continued with dinner, a live auction, and dancing with live music from the Dick Bright Orchestra. Tickets to attend the Purple and Gold Gala were $200 for a single ticket, $400 for a couple’s ticket, and $2000 for a table of 10 people.

Attendants of the gala, and sponsors or advertisers unable to attend the event, were also able to promote and advertise a business or simply offer congratulations to certain coaches, faculty members, staff, or even students partaking in the 2020 Purple and Gold Gala Program.

The cost of advertisements on the program ranged from $200 for a business card ad to $2,000 for an inside front cover ad. The Gala also accepted donations for live and silent auctions, such as restaurant gift certificates, Warriors, 49ers, Giants, and Raiders tickets, hotel stays, and vacation homes.

This year, the fundraiser was held in support of Archbishop Riordan’s Tyrone L. McGraw Scholarship. McGraw, an exceptional student athlete of the Class of 2006, achieved great accomplishments at Riordan, which earned him a full scholarship to Stanford University. At Stanford, he participated on athletic teams such as track and field and football, while excelling academically. After his college career, he became a legislative staff member at the California State Capitol, a teacher, and an intern at the White House.

After a three year battle with cancer, Tyrone McGraw died at theageof29in2017.Hestilllives on as the Riordan community still recalls his speech during Riordan’s Class of 2016 graduation. Tyrone’s message was to “commit yourself to find a way and never give up,” no matter the obstacles in one’s way. The scholarship was then established in his honor “to uphold his mission of serving the underserved.”

According to Karin Haskell, Director of Special Events and Planned Giving, the total raised at the gala was $270,000, with $120,000 going toward the Tyrone McGraw scholarship. The remaining $150,000 will be reserved for tuition assistance. By supporting the 2020 Purple and Gold Gala, participants will help ensure future Crusaders will attain Riordan’s education by providing the needs to offer students at Archbishop Riordan financial aid.