Purple & Gold Gala raises nearly $250k for tuition, construction

Photo by The Crusader Staff

Gigi DiGiulio ’21, Michelle Anzueto ’24, Jonathan Torrea ’21, Jeremy Sherron ’21, Hayden Peregrino ’21, Jackie DeLeon ’21 and Student Activities Director Benny Willers ’08 appeared in a video for the Purple & Gold Gala, which raised almost a quarter of a million dollars for the school.

Elsie Schusteritsch ’23, Staff Reporter

This year, the Purple & Gold Gala looked a little different than it has in previous years. The event was held virtually for the first time.

In “normal” years, there is a dinner, live auction, and dancing, but this year there were pre-recorded segments, some live auction items, and catering companies delivering dinner, depending on the price attendees paid. The entire program usually lasted five hours long, but this year it was only one hour long.

The money raised from this fundraiser will be split into two separate categories: tuition assistance and school construction projects. Tuition assistance is a way to keep Riordan an affordable and accessible environment. Remodeling classrooms is a big project, since it costs about $40,000 to remodel each classroom, and there are at least 20 more classrooms in need of a fresh look.

Although the school gathered in a new way this year, the main purpose of the event remained the same: helping and improving the school, with the idea that supporters can still gather and build community, even without being physically present together.

In a year during which the Gala had to go virtual, the Riordan community really stepped up to help our school.

— Simon Chiu

The money raised was “about $248,000 from the Gala this year,” said Director of Development Simon Chiu.

Chiu reflected on the success of the event, saying, “In a year during which the Gala had to go virtual, the Riordan community really stepped up to help our school. The money raised in this year’s Gala was split between tuition assistance and the Riordan Renaissance Campaign, which is raising money for improvements to the locker room, restrooms and classrooms.”

He added, “We’re so grateful for the many alumni, parents, faculty and staff and friends of Riordan who contributed to this year’s event.”