Camp Crusader returns this summer after hiatus

Rizlin Jew ’22, Graphic Artist

As the year slowly comes to a close, social distance protocols and vaccinations have provided for the eventual reopening of traditional summer activities held at Riordan. Camp Crusader will continue to facilitate sports camps on top of academic enrichment courses for potential incoming students. 

Those entering 1st through 4th grade are encouraged to join in on the summer fun. Students can choose from several sports camps including football, basketball, baseball, soccer, volleyball, and strength conditioning.

Incoming 5th through 8th graders have the opportunity to enjoy Riordan’s Summer Programs that are now offering a variety of advanced academic classes. While challenging young minds and developing a strong work ethic in each kid, ARHS staff provide the full Crusader Experience as this helps students have a better insight into Riordan’s culture and house system. 

Current Riordan students are also invited to participate in this year’s summer programs working as teachers’ aides and camp counselors. Faculty will be hiring through an interview process in the next few weeks.

No Risk, No Return! Discussions regarding controlled informed risk taking will be woven into the goals of investors, which thusly dictates the amount of appropriate risk.

— Brian Davis

For enrichment courses, journalism teacher Susan Sutton breaks down the intricate world of journalism with The Squire newspaper, while Sports Medicine, or the medical practice associated with sports injuries, will be overseen by Anthony Rissotto ’17, and Edgar Beteta ’85 will supervise the Civics class, covering the ins and outs of the American Constitution and how Crusaders become working and active citizens in our society. 

Riordan’s Finance and Investment instructor, Brian Davis, looks forward to this summer as it has much to offer, “No Risk, No Return! The study of risk taking and what it is will be discussed at length. Discussions regarding controlled informed risk taking will be woven into the goals of investors, which thusly dictates the amount of appropriate risk.”

He added, “We will also learn that math is our friend regarding personal financial management! Ya gotta know the numbers! For example, Cryptocurrencies exist because of math, they would not without it!”