Pilar wins Crusader Games, Cana wins Chaminade Cup

Joseph Kerrigan ’18, and Giovanni Mendoza ’18 celebrate their victory with The Crusader

Eddie Monares '19, Staff Writer

After a year filled with competitions, rallies, and excitement, the Chaminade Cup was decided after the first annual Crusader Games.

With the first year of the new House System coming to a close, the last chance to earn points for their respective houses was the Crusader Games. The Games started with an opening ceremony honoring Mary, and Drama Director Valerie O’Riordan “Ava Marie.”

The Crusader Games was a fun day for the students who instead of focusing on academics, focused on an assortment of games and events in an effort to win the Crusader Games Trophy, but also gain points in order to win the first ever Chaminade Cup.

Joey Klobas ’07, director of student activities, thought the event was a success. “For it being our first time doing this, I thought it was very successful. The students look to be engaged, up-beat, and I saw lots of smiles,” he said. At the Crusader Games, some events students seemed to enjoy were: dodgeball, capture the flag, relay races, and batting cages.

The seniors had the gym to themselves, where they played basketball strictly against each other, emulating their Frosh Olympics.

Christopher Fern, House of Cana Provincial, said, “It was so great to see so many people all competing in all these different events. The day was full of excitement and energy and it was because it was the first time we ever did anything like this.”

The Crusader Games concluded with two seniors in each house running a gauntlet for the chance to have their names engraved in armor that will be in Riordan’s trophy case for years to come.

The winners were Joseph Kerrigan ’18 and Giovanni Mendoza ’18 from the House of Pilar.

The winner of the Crusader Games was House of Pilar with 833 points, barely edging out the House of Cana with 832 points; Russi followed with 824 points, and finally, Bolts with 739 points. The Chaminade Cup, however, was won by the House of Cana.

For next year’s Crusader Games, Patrick O’Brien ’19, next year’s School Captain, said, “There are definitely games and activities we will add and remove, but we want to leave that as a surprise for the students come next Crusader Games.”

Editor’s Note: For the video, please click here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TzWtprIv04&t=3s