Van Gogh Exhibit Transports Visitors to Starry Night

The+Van+Gogh+immersive+exhibit+puts+the+visitors+inside+the+artists+most+masterful+paintings.+

Joziah Rizzo' 23

The Van Gogh immersive exhibit puts the visitors inside the artist’s most masterful paintings.

Joziah Rizzo' 23 and Andrei Lynch' 22, Staff Writer and Technology Editor

If you’re a fan of Vincent Van Gogh, then you must go to the extraordinary exhibit in the Fillmore district. The Immersive Van Gogh, opened on March 18, and is a 360 degree digital art exhibition in nearly 40 U.S cities, with one being in San Francisco. The experience allows visitors to step into the universe of the famous artist, Vincent Van Gough.

It is a collection of 3,000 moving images of the artist’s masterpieces. Vincent Van Gogh lived in the 19th century and is known for his post-impressionist work. Some of his best works include painting landscapes, self-portraits, andstill life. Two of his most famous paintings are Starry Night and Café Terrace at Night.

Archbishop Riordan’s art teacher, Irmin Arcibal, has not seen the exhibit yet but expressed his love for Van Gough by saying, “My favorite Van Gogh painting is a starry night that is not as well known as the one everyone thinks of. I saw it in Paris, and it is more of a city landscape with a bridge and sky. It is not as swirly as the Starry Night. It is much darker with more black, and it’s different from what people normally think
of.”

Van Gough’s popularity sharply increased after his death, specifically around the 20th century. People who appreciated his paintings and drawings were amazed by the beauty of his artwork and how it told a story about his difficult life; one of those people being Massimiliano Siccardi, the creator of the immersive exhibit.

The exhibit is put together “with the help of 60,600 frames of video, 90,000,000 pixels, and 500,000+ cubic feet of projections, this captivating digital art exhibit merges state-of-the-art technology, theatrical storytelling, and world-class animation,” according to vangoghnyc.com.

Raquel Olivia-Gomez, Archbishop Riordan’s Dean of Students, went to the exhibit and was amazed with what she saw. She exclaimed, “I loved it! I thought my favorite piece was going to be Starry Night since I love that painting and even did a paint night with that theme, but my favorite immersive experience was when they did the Irises with Cello 1 in G Major, BWV 1007, No. 1 Prelude.”

This exhibit was created to show off Vincent Van Gogh’s journey through his life of paintings and to allow the visitors to step into his world and see art through his perspective. Tickets are available online, but there is very limited time left to go view the exhibit as it closes on Nov. 7.

Visitors enjoy the immersive Van Gogh experience. (Joziah Rizzo’ 23)