Crusaders come alive with return of student cheer section

Julien Untalan ’24

The student cheer section, known as the “Crusader Crazies,” was in full force at the CCS Championship.

Daphne Iosua ’25, Staff Reporter

Archbishop Riordan’s cheering squad, the Crusader Crazies, attended their first basketball game on Jan. 29. The Crusader Crazies are a courtside cheering section who attend the basketball games. They originated from the early 2000s and have been brought back. The name comes from when the cheering section was a bunch of students showing up for games.

Viggen Rassam ’87 remembered, “Coach Rich Forslund saying to me, ‘It’s great to have these students here, ‘cause they’re so crazy, they get so into it,’ and I said, ‘Hey why don’t we call them the Crusader Crazies?’”

The approximately 40 students who showed up that night certainly were loud and along with the drumline, had great cheers. Everybody in the gym was pumped and everyone was having a great time (except the other team of course).

One of the basketball coaches mentioned that the basketball players had been just as excited and were looking forward to having the students there. Traditions like this and school spirit have always been important to Archbishop Riordan. It unifies the students and brings the school together against Riordan’s opponents.

It is indeed important to keep old traditions alive, however for some the word ‘crazy’ has a perceived negative connotation. As important as traditions are, some find it time to move on from this particular one, or at least the name.

As Wellness Director Elizabeth Heuser said, “It might be time to retire that name and find something everyone can get behind.”

Despite reservations about the part of what makes Riordan the school it is. Having school spirit brings the students together.

Kai Murguz ’25 said, “School spirit is important to me because it gives me a sense of community. I enjoy participating in school activities because it makes Riordan seem like more than just a school.”