Crusaders pray for Parkland at solemn service

Marco Celi-Aguirre ’21

The Riordan community came together on Feb. 14 to pray for the victims of the Parkland school shooting, and pray for peace.

Aidan Murtagh, Staff Writer

On March 14, the Liturgy and Marianist LIFE Teams hosted a prayer service in honor of victims of school shootings, especially the shooting that occurred on Feb. 14 at Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida.

The prayer service served as a way to unite the school community against the devastating school shootings that occur across the nation. As a Catholic school, students saw others in need and earnestly prayed for their well- being and recovery together as a school community.

Director of Campus Ministry Alex Datoc ’87 said, “Just to show a response from our student body, by how solemn, respectful, and in tune our body was during the videos and images of the faces, I could tell that they were affected by the students and teachers who were killed in Parkland, Florida.”

During the prayer service, a candle was lit for each of the 17 victims of the shooting, accompanied by a brief summary of each victim’s hopes and/or accomplishments. Prayers were accompanied by a song performed by the Chorale club, reassuring all that evil will not be victorious in the end.

Current CORE Team member Roshan Thomas ’19 said, “As a Catholic school living out the Marianist tradition, taking part in the prayer service was a good way to take time out of our busy lives in class and to just take a moment to give our undivided attention and emotional support to the victims in Parkland, Florida.”

Living out the Marianist tradition, the school community came together to show that they are with the victims of the Parkland shooting. Through the prayer service, Riordan showed that students are hoping for, and believing that a better future is to come.

LIFE Team member Mike’l Gregory ’18 said, “We as a student body came together in a different way compared to other schools that really showed solidarity for the people from Parkland. We stopped, reflected, and went to the best result, which was prayer.”